…everyone else is doing it, and I’ve always been one of the herd, so I’ll follow along. (I can hear my mother snorting at that lie from 100 miles away.)
1) Ever been in a relationship lasting over 5 years?
Most of them, actually. I’ve had four serious relationships in my life. One of them I’m married to. Two of them I’m still friendly with and communicate with fairly regularly (you know, Christmas cards and the like), so if that counts as part of the relationship they’ve all been over five years. (I’m a pretty loyal, or possibly just very stubborn, gal.)
2) What was one of your dreams growing up?
Singer. Writer. First female president of the United States.
3) What talent do you wish you had?
Will power. Is that a talent?
4) If I bought you a drink what would it be?
Diet Vanilla Coke.
5) Favorite books?
Better to list authors as listing books would take a while. Top ten are probably Orson Scott Card, Robert Heinlein, John Scalzi, Octavia Butler, Mark Twain, Alexandre Dumas, Madeline L’Engle, Arthur Clarke, Ray Bradbury, and James Halperin (of The Truth Machine and The First Immortalfame. Where’d he go?).
6) What was the last book you read?
Currently re-reading Dawn by Octavia Butler, listening to The Night Listenerby Armistead Maupin, and trying to get through East of the Sun, West of the Moon by John Ringo (Ringo and Weber are really more Hubby’s thing than mine, but I try). Just finished Kushiel’s Scion by Jacqueline Carey. Don’t know where I’m headed next. I’m open to suggestions.
7) Astrology: Menace to science education or entertainment?
I don’t see that it has much impact either way. I don’t think it’s important enough to be considered a menace, really, but I don’t find it especially entertaining, either.
8 ) Any tattoos and/or piercings? Explain where.
Ears pierced. That’s it, and if I hadn’t been pretty young (seven or so) when I did that, I wouldn’t even have gone that far. I’m terrified (like cold sweat, shakes, elevated blood pressure, and a strong desire to run kind of terrified) of needles. The idea of getting a tattoo makes my mind go numb.
9) Worst habit?
10) Best attribute?
Loyalty, I guess.
11) What are your favorite hobbies?
Reading, learning new things, crocheting, messing about on the computer, movies, and travel.
12) Do you have a negative or optimistic attitude?
Optimistic. Almost always. Many think this is naive of me.
13) What would you do if you were stuck in an elevator with me?
I think if it was Shawn and me (the guy I swiped the meme from), we’d be cracking each other up by the fourth floor. Mostly, though, I stare at the door after doing the polite half smile. Unless I’m with my kids, in which case I’m trying to hold all six of their limbs to keep them from pressing all the buttons or hitting each other.
14) Worst thing to ever happen to you?
That’s a tough one, actually. Death, divorce, heartbreak, illness… there’re so many options.
15) Best thing to ever happen to you?
Marriage, children, friends, family, travel… Same deal. Many, many options.
16) Tell me one weird fact about you.
I pronounce words oddly, and occasionally accent the wrong syllables (Thanksgiving instead of Thanksgiving). And sometimes Hubby catches me with a little Valley Girl in my speech, which is exceedingly embarrassing.
17) What if I showed up at your house unexpectedly?
You’d be invited in. I would offer you food and drink. And then I’d probably make you babysit.
18) What was your first impression of me?
Goofy in a good way, and kind.
19) What scares you?
Needles. And losing someone I love.
20) If you could change one thing about how you are, what would it be?
I would be more ambitious.
21) Would you be my crime partner or my conscience?
I liked Jim’s answer: conscientious crime partner.
22) What color eyes do you have?
Grey-blue-green. They change.
23) Ever been arrested? If so, what for?
Kinda. I was protesting US involvement in the war in Nicaragua and El Salvador back in college. We blockaded the Pentagon. The police put twistie-ties on my wrists, sat me in a van, and called my parents.
24) Favorite dessert?
Not really a sweets kinda gal, but probably chocolate mousse.
25) If you won $1000 today, what would you do with it?
Pay bills. Get my house power-washed and my chimney swept.
26) Tell me something you want me to know about you.
I want to live in Ireland.
27) What’s your favorite place to hang out?
Right where I am.
28) Do you believe in ghosts? Aliens?
Ghosts, no. Aliens, yes. And like almost everyone else, I don’t think any have visited us.
29) Favorite thing to do in your spare time?
Read. Eat sushi.
30) Do you swear a lot?
Not anymore. Though I dropped a few f-bombs at the blackjack table last time I was in Vegas.
31) Biggest pet peeve?
Hubby and the kids leave their shoes everywhere. This drives me nuts.
32) In one word, how would you describe yourself?
33) Do you believe in/appreciate romance?
Depends. I’m not overly romantic, but I get a lift every time Hubby brings me flowers.
34) Most unusual place you’ve had sex?
I’m reminded of the Newlywed Game blooper. Snort if you remember that one…
35) Do you believe in an afterlife?
I hope for one, but I don’t believe down deep. This really troubles Hubby.