I.M. Bitter (who used to play the bassoon) just tagged me with the “eight random things’ meme. As I’m a tag virgin, I thought I’d give it a shot…
1. I used to sing professional opera. Actually, I only got paid once, but it was a professional stage production and I was one of the leads, so that qualifies. I started my career as a mezzo-soprano. These days, I’m more contralto. Age and hard living, you know. I don’t sing much anymore – other than in my car. But it ain’t over ’til the, ummm…, ’til it’s over.
2. I shook hands with His Holiness Pope John-Paul II at the Vatican. Not being Catholic, and being occasionally a dumbass American, when he held his hand out to me, I shook it instead of kissing the ring. My mother was mortified. JP patted me on my cheek and told me I looked like my mother. It was a pretty terrific moment.
3. I jumped out of a plane at 14,000 feet, and hope to do it again. It was awesome.
4. I used to be an outdoor education teacher. I took teenagers down rivers and through mountains and on horses and through ropes courses. I was a bad-ass. I lived in a tent for nine months out of the year. If it payed a living wage, I might still be doing it.
5. My twenty year high school reunion is three weeks away. This has left me flooded with conflicting emotions. But I can’t wait to hang with the Gang again, as we don’t spend much time together anymore. We’re starting to worry that we’ll never all be together again until we start attending each others’ funerals.
I’m running out of things to share…
6. I’m deathly afraid of needles. I mean really bad. And Hubby has to shoot himself all the time. It took me years to even be able to stay in the same room with him when he gave himself a shot. I cried when I got a flu shot. I’m a complete wuss this way.
7. I took – and passed – the ‘Jeopardy!’ test four years ago in DC. I beat out a Johns Hopkins doctor and a regional director of NPR. I was supposed to fly out to LA and be on the show sometime that season. Ken Jennings had his winning streak that year, and so they didn’t need any more contestants. Poor me. If I want to be on the show, I have to take the test again and do the whole thing over. I haven’t decided yet.
8. Whenever I take a sip of something – no matter what it is – I hold it in my mouth for a while before I swallow it. I don’t really notice doing this, and would probably never have noticed if it were not an idiosyncracy that drives my best friend completely nuts. She has been known to shout right in my face, “Swallow, dammit!” which always generates odd looks from people nearby.
So now I’m at the place where I have to ‘tag’ some other people. I can’t tag Bitter back, so I’ll try some others. Also following Bitter’s lead, I’m not going to do the full eight, just one or two (or five) – none of which will probably respond, but that’s their problem…
Devin @ Hangar Queen, who inspires me.
Jonsonblog, who makes me laugh.
Gimme a Minute @ Stranded on Gaia who makes me laugh, and occasionally cringe.
Misty and Stephen @ Live Grenades – either one of you or both. I’m STILL laughing at LOLTrek, and Misty and I have a lot in common, I think.
Badgerdaddy @ The Bingo Caller of Love. Inspirational (running-wise, anyway – and that whole work thing he does). And he cusses like an American abroad. Cute.
That’ll do, for now, though I can’t promise not to tag someone in the future, though I understand from the blogoshpere that tagging is en passant. Did I mention I’m a nerd? Nerd Queen, in fact!